St Luke the Evangelist church and war memorial. commisioned by the Duke of Newcastle (the major local landowner). The foundation-stone was laid by the then Prince of Wales on October 18th, 1861, and it was opened October 15th, 1863. Presumably there was a church on the site prior to this date. The two photos below are from 2004 and 1910. At some point in between the church lost its spire.