Author Topic: WGS: Chris Milnes ( nee Goodinson). WGS 1966  (Read 6868 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • South yorks villages
WGS: Chris Milnes ( nee Goodinson). WGS 1966
« on: September 26, 2010, 09:26:55 PM »
Hi, I was surprised to come across our old class photo (1966). I remember Barry Cheney well. I can fill in some of the names,Middle row-1st Carole Exton, 3rd Diane Houlden, Hilary Spencer (next to end)
I retired in 2008 and would love to hear from anyone who remembers me.
Front row-4th Linda Goodwin, 5th Linda Sides.

Chris Milnes
chrismilnes AT hotmail.com
Sheffield
8 April 2010
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:59:34 PM by admin »

bung

Re: Chris Milnes ( nee Goodinson). WGS 1966
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:22:39 PM »
I remember you 'cos you were one of my Prefects in 1966-67 !
I was also a little surprised to see, some time ago, that there were a few WGS folks out there on the Web, trawling about. I did go to the 2008 reunion but most of the attendees were a bit before our time, although dear old Jessie attended, and it was wonderful to see her after 40 years. Sadly she died last year.

I have lived in Somerset for the last 30 years so don't go up to Sheffield very often now. I do have an information line though because, a few years ago, whilst watching speedway down here, met up with another ex-Sheffield speedway fan, who is also ex-Woodhouse.

Graham Mottram
WGS/Aston Woodhouse 1959-67

chad

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 04:23:11 PM »
Thank you Chris for adding some missing names to photo of lower 6th 1965/6.
If anyone can add/complete names it would be much appreciated.

Barry C.

suleaf

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:12:04 PM »
Hi,
Are you Christine Goodinson of South Anston? If so,i remember you! You were part of our group, Judith Peddar, Bennett, Susan Lidster*, Pauline Bland, i have quite a few photographs of Woodhouse including the official class photos, but also a few at the Great Yorks Show where we went one year. Oliver Biddulph was there and Mottram 'with a handbag'.
*I am Su Leavesley now, by the way, and i live in Norfolk.

bung

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 12:14:29 AM »
Thank you Sue for reminding me about that b....y bag. I had hoped that that had passed out of living memory !
How and where is Martin these days ?
Graham Mottram

bung

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 11:28:43 PM »
One for Barry - some more names.
In the very back row, two to the right of Teddy Towers is Stewart Warden (see also Sueleaf's photo post). "Scrawny" was a good chum of mine at the time, although I haven't seen him for a very long time.
The other teacher with glasses is Mr Eden.
Right behind you and next to Phil Sanderson is Keith Slinn. His older brother Mick was also at Woodhouse, a couple of years ahead.

suleaf

Martin Lidster
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 12:51:25 AM »
Hi Graham Mottram!
i am a bit of a novice at these sort of sites so i hope i am doing it right.
Martin is in Holland having gone there straight after uni (Aberystwyth) to work for Nixdorf computers. He married a Dutch woman. He speaks Dutch better than English now, and quite often when we speak he swaps language in mid sentence - inadvertently.
I seem to remember that you were a bit of a brainy sort; what did you end up doing? Stewart Warden was (last time I haerd) a solicitor in Sheffield for someone called Dust. I remember Graham Ward; he was my first ever boyfriend (age about 12, I guess) I was devastated by his death and think of him still. Who else was in that crash? Geoff Green lives in Anston next door to where I used to live - or at least he was untill a few years ago. I can't believe that we are all retired now. Does anyone remember Jean Ann Hill  (later Harris) English teacher, straight from training college? I owe her an enormous thank you for waking me up to literature, and writing in general.

bung

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:57:50 AM »
Novice or not Sue, you seek to be doing OK to me.
I am actually not retired. After doing metallurgy with funding support from British Steel I worked for their Stainless division in South Wales for 12 years. Then I made a career change and, always having been interested in aircraft joined the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Somerset. I have been Director for the last 15 years and have just come back from our Christmas band concert with an audience of 400. If someone had told me in WGS days that I would daily be rubbing shoulders with Admirals and the like I could never have believed them.
Check out our website www.fleetairarm.com. And yes, it's a real Concorde. Big toys for big boys.

I can still see Graham Ward's face as I write. My recollection is that he had been on a pub crawl with a couple of older friends and the driver was well over the limit. He hit a parked car at high speed and his car rolled, killing him and Graham. I think a third guy in the back survived, but I could be wrong after all these years.

And yes, I remember Jeannie Harris, blonde lady with glasses. First woman I ever saw to drink a pint of bitter. Very unlike most of our sedate lady teachers of that era.

If I can unearth my photos I'll try and post them too. We might just unearth a few more old souls.
Say hello to Martin for me next time you contact him.
Best wishes
Graham

suleaf

old souls
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 11:36:08 AM »
Hi
I have changed the  name of this topic because I read your last reply thinking that you were Christine Goodinson, and I though 'Crikey, she's done well!' not wishing to detract from the fact that you have done well. i keep trying to upload some old 'official' photos to the site; I hope the one of the teachers gets through this time. Somewhere I have others that I have not yet scanned into my photobase:I am up to about 4 Giga bites already. Here also is one of Geoff Green, Martin and my dad, on holiday soemwhere. See what I had to put up with?
more later
su Lidster now leavesley

bung

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 10:49:27 PM »
That is a cracking photo of the teachers. My guess is that it was taken for Harry Beynon's retirement - where did you get a copy ?
It has been an utter time waster for me as I have been trying to put names to faces and then ended up joining Friends United where there is a lot of WGS stuff.
Have you got the names or would you like my best guesses ?
Cheers
Graham