Author Topic: BBC History Enquiry: WGS 1909-1918  (Read 4291 times)

Jonathan

BBC History Enquiry: WGS 1909-1918
« on: November 07, 2011, 02:13:02 PM »

Hello,

I am researching a BBC history documentary about a former pupil of Woodhouse Grammar School. Hubert Ronald Dennis (born in 1899, and died in 1990) attended the school between about 1909 and 1917 before going off to serve as an officer in the First World War.

I would love to hear from any members of this forum who can tell me more about this period of the school’s history, provide photographs or suggest any documents that might show that Hubert attended the school. The Rotherham Archives don’t have any records for the school before 1954 so I really hope that some of you can help.

I am very interested in the page of the WGS website called the “class of 1913” which I think features Hubert Dennis in the football team photo (on the left of those seated on the front row) http://www.j31.co.uk/woodhouse/woodhousegrammar_1913.htm. As Mr Layne does not have the names of those in the photo, I’d love to know if any of you can confirm that this is Hubert.

If you can help or if you know anyone who might be able to then I would love to hear from you, either on the forum or by email – jonathan.rowlands@walltowall.co.uk.

Thanks and best wishes,

Jonathan Rowlands

Jonathan

Re: BBC History Enquiry: WGS 1909-1918
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 04:40:51 PM »
Hello,

Can anyone put me in touch with Jon Layne who owns the photos on the website on the 1912-13 page. Unfortunately, the email address and phone number on this website and forum don't seem to work.

Could anyone send me Jon's details or the email or number of one of the other WGS website's contributors, Roy Gascoyne, Rodney Shaw or Geof Hamer?

Many thanks for your help.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Rowlands

Wall to Wall Television
Tel + 44 (0) 20 7241 9227
Email jonathan (dot) rowlands (at) walltowall.co.uk