Author Topic: My view on this important local and national topic (Vote Yes!)...  (Read 4113 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • South yorks villages
I am going to vote Yes to adopting the system used to elect Westminster MPs from First Past the Post to Alternative Vote (AV).  Why, you may ask?

1. Less of the 'wasted votes' whereby you could live in a safe seat (mostly Tory or Labour) and if you vote against the incumbent party your vote never counts in the current 1st past the post. With AV it just might.

2. It will force an MP to have more than 50% of the vote, even if they have to gather 2nd choice votes. Make them work harder for your vote and reduce the 'job for life' syndrome when in safe seats.

3. Less negative campaigning - they're not just allowed to campaign at their core vote - they have to appeal to more voters.

4. Smaller parties may just be in with a chance - this is seen as a bad thing by the Big 3 (big 2 1/2 really!) parties, but in the 2010 election UKIP got 900,000+ votes and 0 MPs, and in my book that ain't fair, and the electoral system needs to change. I.e:

Party                          MPs     Votes 2010  Approx Votes per MP
Conservative              307    10,726,614          35k
Labour                      258    8,609,527         33.4k
Liberal Democrat          57    6,836,824           120k
UK Independence Party   0    919,546       infinite! Their voters got zero MPs
British National Party      0    564,331     infinite! Their voters got zero MPs
Green                          1    285,616       286k  (enough for 8 Tory or Labour MPs)

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/

5. If we get some kind of proportional representation system for a few elections,then maybe other parties than Con/Lab/LibDem may be worth setting up, and may challenge their total domination of UK politics for the last 150 years?

Note: Under AV, voters rank candidates in numerical order of preference.

If no candidate receives 50pc or more of first-preference votes, the candidate with the fewest is eliminated and his or her votes are redistributed according to second preferences. This process is repeated until one candidate reaches the 50pc threshold.

It's opposed by the Conservatives who quite like the current system as it favours them the most.

See the Yes to Fairer Votes campaign website http://www.yestofairervotes.org/pages/learn-more/ for more information.

FEEL FREE TO COPY THIS POST AND/OR LINK TO IT.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 01:21:03 AM by admin »

admin

• Administrator
    • South yorks villages
Re: My view on this important local and national topic (Vote Yes!)...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »
Ah well, a resounding defeat for the Yes to AV campaign by a 2:1 ratio! I doubt there will be a chance to change the electoral system within the foreseeable future, say, 30 years?

A good result for the 2 biggest parties (Lab and Con) though, who will probably now continue to swap power between themselves for another 90 years.

dennisinaus

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:02:13 AM »
Perhaps too many people have talked to Australians about this "new" kind of voting, and realise that the AV system certainly does NOT make Politicians try harder, because they do not get into Parliament to work.

Dennis In Oz

admin

• Administrator
    • South yorks villages
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 01:31:25 PM »
That maybe true dennis, but I'd still like some form of proportional representation (PR) in the UK parliamentary elections.

All those fringe parties in the BBC link got 1.76 million votes and not 1 MP. Even the Greens needed 285,616 votes for 1 MP. If you live in the Rotherham area it's hardly worth voting for anyone except labour, as they just about always get in around here. And the same is the case in traditional Tory areas for non Tory voters.

In the Euro Parliament elections they do a limited form of PR called the Party Listhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proportional_representation covering all of the Yorks area, and that makes it worth voting even if you know your party won't get over 50% of the vote locally. I think the Scottish parliament use a form of PR to where half are first past the post, and half are PR.

The BNP got one seat though in the EU elections, and the Cons and Lab have used that scarecrow as a reason to not have any form of PR. This guarantees Lab and Cons will share power for the forseeable future - which is A Bad Thing in my opinion :).

dennisinaus

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 06:58:45 AM »
You know, Karma, the biggest problem with politics everywhere is not the politicians, but the voters.  In Australia, where voting is mandatory, there is a number of voters who will rather pay a fine than vote, and others who will vote but waste their vote by voting informally.  Unless voters take control by voting in great numbers, the system will not change.  How many people actually voted at the last election?  Why do you or I hope for a good result when such a large number just ignore the polls?

Dennis In Oz

admin

• Administrator
    • South yorks villages
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 01:29:44 PM »
True enough. I read somwhere "The future belongs to those who turn up."

In the context of voting, those who can't be bothered to do the 10 min walk to the polling booth shouldn't moan about politicians or politics ever again.